A Return to Everest
I’m off again to Mount Everest, my sixth expedition to the mountain. It is an exciting time, and I am looking forward to returning to this mountain which has been such a huge part of my life over the years.
And, it is even more exciting because of the project at hand: Eddie Bauer’s Return to Everest.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have the great honor of being the photographer for and a team member of the Eddie Bauer/Whittaker Mountaineering First Ascent team. In an exciting return to it’s heritage as the premier mountain outfitter in the world, Eddie Bauer has launched this new line of top-notch outerwear for the mountains. Designed by some of the best climbers and guides in the world, this gear lives up to its motto of everything you need, nothing you don’t.
We’ve already used the gear on Cotopaxi, Aconcagua, and in our own personal climbing adventures in the USA, and now will put it to the ultimate test: Everest.
- Ed Viesturs – Pretty self-explanatory…One of the world’s pre-eminent mountaineers, Ed will be going for his 7th summit of Everest without using bottled oxygen!
- Peter Whittaker – Nephew of Jim Whittaker (1st American to summit Everest, 1963) and son of Lou Whittaker (founder of Rainier Mountaineering, Inc., and leader of the 1st American ascent of the North Ridge of Everest, 1984), Peter will be on his 3rd attempt on Everest, and going strong for the summit.
- Dave Hahn – The world’s most experienced Everest guide, Dave is going for his 11th summit of Everest – more than any non-Nepali climber in the world!
- Melissa Arnot – An accomplished climber and guide, Melissa will be trying to reach the top for the second time.
- Seth Waterfall – A great climber, skier, and guide, Seth will be guiding along with Dave Hahn, and hoping for his first summit of Everest.
- Kent Harvey – Our cinematographer and Director of Photography, Kent has shot films the world over, and was with me on Everest in 2003.
- Gerry Moffatt – As Head of Production, Gerry will be directing the video aspects of our expedition, and will be attempting his second ascent of Everest.
- John Griber – Cameraman John Griber has covered expeditions around the world, and will be going for his second summit of Everest as well.
- Cherie Silvera – Our field producer for the expedition, Cherie comes with a wealth of experience, having worked in the adventure film world for years. This is her 3rd production on Everest.
- Tom Grimshaw – The man behind the cuts, Editor Tom Grimshaw will be working hard to deliver content during the expedition. But, I know he works well under pressure, having worked together on the Everest Rocks trek in 2007.
And, of course, we’ll have an all-star cast of Nepali climbers and staff helping us along the way. High Altitude Dreams is a new outfitter for me personally, so I don’t know their team, but they have a great reputation and I’m sure they’ll run an excellent trip. And, as always, we’ll be indebted beyond words to our Sherpa and Nepali climbing companions!
So, please tune in here at The MountainWorld Blog for updates on the climb and our adventures on the mountain. I’ll do my best to update here every few days. But, for regular updates with text, video, and photography (the latter by yours truly), please log onto the official website, www.firstascent.com. There you’ll find information about the brand and the history of Eddie Bauer as well as links to the First Ascent blog and the simultaneous coverage of our expedition by National Geographic.
– Jake Norton is a climber, guide, photographer, writer, and motivational speaker from Colorado.