Connecting need with supply in Nepal
Sometimes even a tiny impact can help, and in a crisis situation like the one unfolding daily in Nepal, those of us far away can only donate money, time, effort, and sweat to get things done.
To that end, I’ve put together a very rudimentary, but effective, means of connecting bonafide need in Nepal with relief supplies on the ground in Kathmandu, or supplies that can be transported by individuals heading over there. Please read carefully all the information below.
- I cannot (and will not) send supplies with someone going to Nepal who is not tied to official relief efforts.
- I cannot (and will not) be able to connect those in need with supplies if those supplies cannot be retrieved in Kathmandu and delivery made to the person or entity needed.
That said, please contact me using the specific emails below if you meet the individual criteria for each one. Sorry to be so strict on this, but if I get inundated with requests that are out of line with what I detail below, the system (me) will break. So, please, help me to help you and help others.
I’m going to Nepal and can carry gear. If this is you, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org IF you can fit the following criteria:
- You are going to Nepal on official relief business, and can verify that.
- You can and are willing to take extra baggage with you, which could be one or more heavy duffel bags.
- You understand that this is an unorthodox means of getting supplies in country, and while it is unlikely there will be issues in customs, there could be. You accept this risk.
- You can provide me with specific travel times, dates, airlines, etc. I need to know:
- Where you’re leaving from
- What airline and flights you are on
- When you will arrive in Kathmandu
- If you can do this, email email@example.com.
- You can confirm a bonafide need in Kathmandu or elsewhere that cannot or is not being met by current relief efforts.
- You can confirm your ability to receive the supplies at Tribhuvan Airport or pick up from another location in Kathmandu.
- You can confirm your ability to transport the supplies using your own power or that of friends, etc., to the recipients.
- You can provide a specific list of supplies needed, quantities needed, and number of people to be impacted. Remember, this is small time; I cannot deliver supplies for an entire village or neighborhood, but will do my best to get reasonable quantities to people in a timely fashion.
- If you can do this, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have tents and supplies on the ground in Nepal. If this is you, please email me at email@example.com IF you can fit the following criteria:
- You have reasonable quality tents or other shelter and warmth (survival) related goods in Kathmandu or elsewhere in Nepal.
- You are able to inventory them and let me know the type, size, quantity, and location of these items.
- You are willing to have them go out to those in need, understanding that you will not see them again, and this will be a donation. You also understand that I will do my best, through my network, to get replacement tents and supplies to people who donate; but this is not guaranteed, and will not happen until after the dust settles and some normalcy returns – most likely, post-monsoon.
- You are ok with meeting people who have a need and have them come to pick up the items for distribution.
- If you can do this, email firstname.lastname@example.org.